Housing Authorities

Housing Authorities provide affordable housing choices for low-income renters. These agencies offer programs for rental assistance, such as Section 8 housing vouchers and may also own and manage properties designated for low-income households. Housing Authorities typically maintain a waiting list for vacant units and available housing vouchers.

To be eligible for a housing voucher or other housing assistance at a Housing Authority, you must meet certain income thresholds based upon your household size. Contact the Housing Authority in your area for more information or to apply for housing assistance.

Bear River Association of Governments

Beaver Housing Authority

Cedar City Housing Authority

Davis Community Housing Authority

Emery County Housing Authority

Housing Authority of Carbon County

Housing Authority of Salt Lake City

Housing Authority of Southeastern Utah

Housing Authority of the City of Ogden

Housing Authority of the County of Salt Lake

Millard County Housing Authority

Myton City/Uintah Basin Housing Authority - Roosevelt

Myton City/Uintah Basin Housing Authority - Vernal

Provo City Housing Authority

Roosevelt City Housing Authority

St. George Housing Authority

Tooele County Housing Authority

Utah County Housing Authority
801-373-8333 x108

Low Income Tax Credit Housing - The Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program is designed to expand the supply of affordable housing by encouraging private investment in affordable housing development. Many for-profit and nonprofit-developed rental properties use LIHTCs to create financially viable projects. The Utah Housing Corporation allocates these credits to developers to build or rehabilitate low-income housing. Projects funded through this source must serve residents below 60% of median income and must accept Section 8 vouchers.

Project Based Rental Assistance - This is a federal program that provides assistance to make privately owned multifamily housing affordable to low income families and seniors through a federal subsidy. The term "project based assistance" applies to rental subsidy programs in which the federal government has a contract with the landlord, and is distinguished from tenant-based rental assistance.

Public Housing - Public housing is housing owned and run by a local housing authority under the oldest federal housing program—the Housing Act of 1937. To be eligible to live in public housing, you must be low income and meet certain other requirements. In most cases, rent including utilities can comprise no more than 30% of your income.

Housing Choice Vouchers – Also commonly referred to as Section 8 Vouchers, the Housing Choice Vouchers program is one of the major federal programs intended to bridge the gap between the cost of housing and the incomes of low wage earners and people on fixed incomes. The Housing Choice Voucher program provides flexibility and options by issuing vouchers to eligible households to help them pay rent in privately-owned apartments of the households' choosing.

VASH Vouchers – VASH Vouchers, or Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing Vouchers, combine Housing Choice Voucher rental assistance for homeless Veterans with case management and clinical services provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). VA provides these services for participating Veterans at VA medical centers and community-based outreach clinics.


© 2013 Utah Housing Coaltion • 230 South 500 West Suite 260 • Salt Lake City, Utah 84101 • 801-364-0077


This website was made possible through the generous support of CIT Bank
Web hosting donated by XMission